Ankündigung

Einklappen
Keine Ankündigung bisher.

Hello, Revox Forum! A Brief Introduction...

Einklappen
X

• Filter
  • Zeit
  • Anzeigen
Alles löschen
neue Beiträge

Hello, Revox Forum! A Brief Introduction...

Greetings to everyone on this Revox forum!

I just wished to post a brief introduction, and introduce myself, and my goals for participation in this forum...

I am an IT executive living in Little Rock, Arkansas, USA.
    My main hobby is collecting audiophile-quality vintage audio equipment, and my current systems are classic Bang & Olufsen, however after purchasing three different Revox B790 turntables, I now have one that is so mint, it is just gorgeous. Now, I wish to complete the entire system that would have traditionally gone with this table (the B780, B710, etc.) so I am so pleased to have joined this forum, so that I can learn all that I can and eventually build my complete dream classic Revox system.

Last May was my 55th birthday. Traditionally (at least here in the USA) the 55th birthday is when we have a huge celebration with friends and family, and make it a really big celebration when we hit this point in life. However, as with everyone else across the globe, due to the pandemic, life has been very different, so I had to celebrate on my own quietly, and let the year just pass. So, instead of celebrating with a huge celebration, travel, parties etc., I just made it a year to shop online and treat myself to some “big boys toys’ like electronics, etc. This is how I started buying Revox.

My analog audio hobby is a bit different, in that not only do I approach it from a sound quality (I collect high quality recordings on vinyl), but I approach it from an art standpoint. Here is what I mean... in the example of Bang & Olufsen, I picked an iconic time from the brand, I found an especially iconic poster and art from the period, then I had it framed. And then, I literally recreated the system that is shown in the poster, in real life with real examples of the system, but truly mint examples. The end result is a beautiful sounding audio system, that is also reflected in art.

With Revox, I chose an iconic image/artwork/poster, which led me to the B790 turntable. I had to purchase three from different sources, and luckily my third try was perfect. I am very picky not only about all the boards being recapped, but also the aesthetics... the plinth needed to have no marks or scratches, no discoloration, and operate perfectly. I have also replaced the dust cover with a brand new one. The end result is a perfect B790 in every way. For the three different units and the dust cover, my total expense was just under 2,000 US dollars, and I am happy with the end result.

Now, I wish to slowly build the entire matching system. I was looking specifically at the series which includes the B780, B710, etc. along with a good rack. I have been considering a pair of Agora B speakers, etc. My main concern is that I do not for certain know which components to buy, which is why I joined this forum. The only reason I chose the B7XX series of components, is because of photos I have seen from Revox, and also because the buttons on those components seem to match the buttons on the turntable. However, I could be completely wrong which is why I am hoping to learn from this forum and also get some guidance. I don’t want to spend thousands of dollars and end up with a system that is historically inaccurate.

Again, I realize that any components can be matched, however I approach this from a system standpoint as well as an artistic one. My educational background is in computer technology, but I minored in fine art, and this is one way that I express my art. I love my B&O systems (I have two systems), but I am done with B&O, and I am so excited to start this same project now with Revox.

I am allowing a good budget for this project, so I hope to do this right with your help. I look forward to chatting with new people, and in reading the forum posts. I feel one can never learn enough, so I am excited to learn as much about Revox from the vintage era as I can. I want to end up with my current Revox turntable, a receiver, cassette deck, amplifier, and speakers, and perhaps a reel to reel deck.

Thank you! Best regards to everyone on this forum!

Sincerely,

Michael

Dear Michael
    I wish you a warm wellcome to Little Rock in Arkansas and I hope the Forum will be helpful.
    For your information you will find a link heureunder for manuals (which are downloadable free of charges).

Kind regards
    Jean
    Zuletzt geändert von Niederberger Jean; 19.01.2021, 15:03.
    Mit besten Grüssen
    ein Revox/Studer Fan aus dem Tessin !

Zitat von Arthur Schopenhauer "Natürlicher Verstand kann fast jeden Grad von Bildung ersetzen, aber keine Bildung den natürlichen Verstand"

Kommentar

Welcome on board Michael !

You will find a lot of very interesting topics about your Studer/Revox

Take care and Happy New Year !

Sylvain
      Gruss

Sylvain

---------------------------------------------------
      Fernbedienung Modul für:
      REVOX: A700, A77, B77, PR99, C270, B710, B1xx, B2xx(S), B780.
      STUDER: A710, A721, A725, A727, A730, D730, D731, A764.
      APPLE: iPod/iPhone/iPad und MAC

http://revoxbeo.jimdo.com/

Kommentar

Zitat von Niederberger Jean Beitrag anzeigen
        Dear Michael
        I wish you a warm welllcom to Little Rock in Arkansas and I hope the Forum will be helpful.
        For your information you will find a link heureunder for manuals (which are downloadable free of charges).

Kind regards
        Jean
        Thank you very much for the information, I really appreciate it!

Kommentar

Hi Michael,

welcome. There's another Michael here (not from The States, though) who built his B7xx system based on photos/brochures. Perhaps he'll chime in.

Components matching the B790, colour- and buttonwise:

- integrated amp B750 mkI/"mkI", mkI/"mkII", mkII...can be separated into pre- and power amp
          - tuner B760
          - receiver B780...can be separated into pre- and power amp, I believe
          - preceiver B739
          - power amp A740, B740
          - cassette deck B710 mkI, mkII
          - tape deck B77 mkI, mkII
          - racks Audio-Rack 130, 115, 85, Disco-Rack 200
          - speakers BX-series, BR-series, Triton system, Symbol B.

In the 1983 price list B710 mkII, B780, B739 and B740 were still listed, so we might consider the Forum B, Plenum B and Piccollo speakers also.
          Agora B is an active speaker which was introduced in 1984-85 to go with the B252, and later B286, preamp, if I'm not mistaken.

The finish (Nextel suede coating) must be renewed, if still original.

Good luck hunting.
          Borut

Kommentar

@Borut: Sometimes I think, you know me better than my wife :-)

Hi Michael,

Welcome to the Revox-Forum, from my side too.

When I was reading your introduction, I wanted to answer directly but it made me pensive for a while in the first place.
            Your introduction and your reference to art, reflect exactly something that comes to the deeper point of the B700-series.

I read, that you are collecting vintage audio equipment like B&O which always appeared in advanced design.
            Therefore B&O has been one of the brands preferred by architects or interior designers.
            You refer to your collection as a combination of design and art. Your approach…
            "A beautiful sounding audio system that is also reflect in art.“

This completely reflects my own point of view as a collector and this is, how I felt in love with the Revox B700-Series.

I agree with you, that B&O is characterized by an outstanding and timeless design.
            But once you found the Revox B700-Series now, (I guess) you may figure out, that the design of B&O is a little bit… soulless.

If so... "Welcome to the B700-Series"

In my opinion, it is the unique styling (designed by Manfred Meinzer) paired with the professional technical design and special sound properties that created this real iconic piece of industrial design.

Sure you know already, it is not really easy to collect a complete B700-series audio system and it takes a lot of time and effort.
            But once you found it, I think you will be happy - not because it was easy, because it was hard.
            You may love it even more,… like an admired woman that was not easy to get.

… and I suppose, finally you may see and listen the soul of it :-)

I will attach a few photos of complete B700-Series audio systems.

- B700-series with Revox Audio Rack 130 in combination with the legendary BX4100 speakers and headphone RH310
            - B700-series with Revox Triton B sound system
            - B700-series with Revox Audio Rack 85 in combination with BX4100 speakers

This HiFi-Systems are all in original configuration as per Revox-brochures of the years 1980 and 1981.

For me, the ultimate is the Audio Rack 130 with BX4100,
            but I love the configuration with Revox Triton System as well, which surrounds the B700-series with a homely charm of walnut wood.

I hope you will find enjoy realizing your new 'Revox-project‘ and hope it will compensate a little bit, that you could not celebrate your 55th birthday as it should be.

Once you need help or advice, don’t hesitate to contact me.

Best regards,
            Michael

PS:
            This year I will celebrate my 55th bithday too and I intend to celebrate this with my Revox-collection

B7xx Serie - BX4100 (01).jpg
            B7xx Serie - Triton B (01).jpeg
            Revox Rack 85 - BX4100.jpeg
            Zuletzt geändert von Wiesodasdenn; 17.01.2021, 22:37.

Kommentar

Wiesodasdenn - first of all, HAPPY 55TH BIRTHDAY! You and I seem to have quite a bit in comment when it comes to our appreciation of this equipment... Are these photographs of your listening room? If so, I am very jealous LOL - they are fantastic. I love all three photos, and this gives me a good reference point as well.

Thank you so much for all of the information - I appreciate it very much!

Warmest regards,

Michael (USA)

Kommentar

All -

Does anyone have any experience with this website? I was looking at this as a possible place to order some of the pieces, but I wanted some of your thoughts on this, and if this was a good place to look...

I appreciate it - thank you again!

Michael (USA)

Kommentar

Mike, the photos are catalogue-worthy, aren't they!...you, along with me, have a reason to be jealous. As always...a pleasure to see them, Micha.

I bought some capacitor kits from Thomas Schröder, but don't have any experience with his refurbished gear. If I were you, I would contact Revox (the actual company) first. They ocasionally offer refurbished gear, which, of course is brought to the latest stand.

If you find a perfect looking Revox specimen in The States and want it serviced, I guess your best bet would be Marc Bischoff in LA, Perry Esposito in Richmond, VA and Leon Ament in Montreal. Not sure if they take just every piece in (for example, Marc doesn't do Revox A700 anymore) and I believe none of them is particulary fond of B710 mkI. You can contact them at the Tapeheads Forum (@Tinman, @perry, @Audiomayvin). Mind you, Nextel might be a PITA to get it done.

Borut (SLO)

PS: Micha, you should show Mike your dust-trap for the Rack(-s) more closely, so he might get bitten by the DIY-virus also.
                  OK, found it: https://revoxforum.ch/forum/forum/st...nungsanleitung

Kommentar

Hello there, Borchee!

I just followed the link to Michael's other post - what a beautiful rack setup, it is truly fantastic. I am realizing what I need most of all is patience in finding everything - I mustn't rush, or else I could end up with some mistakes and bad buys. I am so excited though LOL - thank you very much again for all the terrific information! It is great to know of the names of the US repair people, and yes I will check with Revox first to see what they have available as well.

I appreciate everything, thank you again!

Michael (USA)

Kommentar

Yep, take your time and make up your mind about which components you want. B739 and A/B740 are not so common, but they popp out from time to time.

B750 and its three incarnations...

The mkI/"mkI" (up to serial number 5000) has an input board ment for two turntables. You can identify the version by the SN (mkII from 8500), how inputs are labeled on the back and how the input selector on the front is labeled (AUX, TUNER, PHONO 1, PHONO2) and the upper lip/door (B750 or B750 MKII). The phono amplifiers are integrated on one PCB. With mkI/"mkII" and mkII the input selector shows PHONO 2 / AUX 2. AUX 2 can be used for an additional turntable (but a second phono amplifier card must be installed) or just about any other component. They also can be distinguished by looking inside (transformer, input PCB, power supply, power amps).

MKII is more powerfull than MKI.

Good luck.
                      Borut

PS: It might happen you will not be completely happy with the B790 look; B795/791 are a better match because of the silver portion of the front. Just a thought.

Kommentar

Hi Michael,

I also think that you should take it easy.

First, you should use brochures to find out what your preferred device combination should be.
                        The Revox brochures from 1980, 1981 and 1983 are relevant for the B700 series.

As Borut has already written, the pre- and power amplifier combination B739 / B740 is very rare and incredibly expensive.
                        Especially the B740 ... The A740 respectively B740 power amplifier is also a bit of a 'matter of taste', because its design doesn't really match the B700 series perfectly.
                        It initially appeared as the A740 and does not adopt all the design elements of the B700 series.

But you could also operate the B739 preamp directly with active speakers.
                        The Agora B is ideal here, but chronologically it belongs more to the B200 series.

Then you should think about which setup variant you choose.
                        In the original audio rack 130 or 85, in combination with a Triton B or free-standing in/on your furniture.

When it comes to loudspeakers, you should note that the Revox BX4100, the Symbol B or the Triton B are very rare when it comes to good condition.
                        As an alternative, you could use a Plenum B, which has a sound similar to the symbol B but is easier to find and is much cheaper in mint condition.
                        (With the woofers of the Symbol B, Plenum B and Triton B you have to have the foam surrounds replaced - if this has not already been done.)

For all parts with a heavy weight or large dimensions, I am not sure how you want to transport them safely to the USA.
                        (e.g. a Triton B has a weight of approx. 100 kg / a symbol B weighs approx. 50 kg per piece)

What about the grid voltage in the USA?
                        Could problems arise there?

Maybe you can tell us which combination or setup variant you have in mind... once you have figured it out.

Best regards,
                        Michael

PS:
                        Take a look at the following link, it is also very interesting :-)

https://revoxforum.ch/forum/forum/studer-revox-sonstiges/smalltalk-ecke-technikfrei/256481-bluetooth-mit-für-unser-altes-zeugs
                        Zuletzt geändert von Wiesodasdenn; 22.01.2021, 11:56.

Kommentar

Yep, the power amp's look does not really fit...altough I saw somewhere one with a glued anodized aluminum stripe with perfect font and the handles removed - very cool, almost a perfect fit. The grid voltage shouldn't be a problem with the voltage selectors (and right fuses)....the B790 though hasn't got one - some of the transformer wires are to be resoldered...easy-peasy.

About the safe transport...sadly, if a miserable bastard gets his hands on one's parcel, nothing can protect it, no matter the weight, dimensions, destination and packaging.

Kommentar

Hi Michael,

I found an interesting link for you...

The article describes an additional aspect with regard to the B700 series and its cataloges produced in 1980 and 1981.

Since I am not only interested in product design but also in purposeful and sustainably effective advertising,
                            the brochures of the B700 series are also an absolute highlight of contemporary print advertising, which complete the 'total work of art'.

The author of the article analyzes in a few sentences exactly what the perfection and beauty of this advertising material consists of.
                            I my opinion, this is a late honor but absolutely correct appreciation of the performance of the former Revox advertising department.

Quote:

This Stereo Establishes A Social Boundary That You Can Not Cross

"But let’s talk about this catalog.
                            Without a doubt, this is one of the most lavish and neatly designed pieces of audio ephemera I have ever come across, and y’all know I’ve seen a lot of this crap.

... What does this all mean?
                            What can we take from this layout, lighting, design, mise-en-scene… how does it all work together to create the overwhelming sense that I will never, ever, EVER be able to afford shit like this?

There’s a concept in semiotics called discourse. Discourse can be understood as a social boundary that is learned through lived experience. Discursive boundaries are established by all sorts of things, from spoken language to dress, gestures, the kind of food that one consumes, and the objects that one associates with their person. Consider the King and his throne (above). What does the throne say about the person who sits on it? How do we conceptualize that relationship? How do we describe that relationship?
                            I would suggest that the Revox hi-fi is a discursive marker of an extreme kind of wealth and privilege. The way that this document reinforces this discourse through its various design and art-direction elements is fkkn masterful. Well done, unnamed Swiss ad agency of old. You would def get an A+ in my graphic design class (visual narratives assignment)."

http://www.preservationsound.com/201...can-not-cross/

Best regards,

Michael
                            Zuletzt geändert von Wiesodasdenn; 24.01.2021, 10:23.

Kommentar

Zitat von Wiesodasdenn Beitrag anzeigen
                              Hi Michael,

I found an interesting link for you...

The article describes an additional aspect with regard to the B700 series and its cataloges produced in 1980 and 1981.

Since I am not only interested in product design but also in purposeful and sustainably effective advertising,
                              the brochures of the B700 series are also an absolute highlight of contemporary print advertising, which complete the 'total work of art'.

The author of the article analyzes in a few sentences exactly what the perfection and beauty of this advertising material consists of.
                              I my opinion, this is a late honor but absolutely correct appreciation of the performance of the former Revox advertising department.

Quote:

This Stereo Establishes A Social Boundary That You Can Not Cross

"But let’s talk about this catalog.
                              Without a doubt, this is one of the most lavish and neatly designed pieces of audio ephemera I have ever come across, and y’all know I’ve seen a lot of this crap.

... What does this all mean?
                              What can we take from this layout, lighting, design, mise-en-scene… how does it all work together to create the overwhelming sense that I will never, ever, EVER be able to afford shit like this?

There’s a concept in semiotics called discourse. Discourse can be understood as a social boundary that is learned through lived experience. Discursive boundaries are established by all sorts of things, from spoken language to dress, gestures, the kind of food that one consumes, and the objects that one associates with their person. Consider the King and his throne (above). What does the throne say about the person who sits on it? How do we conceptualize that relationship? How do we describe that relationship?
                              I would suggest that the Revox hi-fi is a discursive marker of an extreme kind of wealth and privilege. The way that this document reinforces this discourse through its various design and art-direction elements is fkkn masterful. Well done, unnamed Swiss ad agency of old. You would def get an A+ in my graphic design class (visual narratives assignment)."

http://www.preservationsound.com/201...can-not-cross/

Best regards,

Michael
                              Thank you so very much - I really appreciate it! Sorry for my recent silence - I work in technology for a bank, and there have been recent data breaches that have made me work a great many hours. I am finally able to come on this board and check messages - thank you so much again for everything!

Kommentar

Lädt...
                              X