X

• Filter
  • Zeit
  • Anzeigen
Alles löschen
neue Beiträge

G36 capstan motor noise

Hello,

I've always been a fan of Revox equipment. I have a complete A76/77/78 setup in great condition. The A77 is like new inside out.

I've got my second G36, in really pristine condition.

It works perfectly. However, I find the capstan motor noisy (hum I guess) and I was wondering whether it is normal for this machine.

My A77 is completely silent by comparison, but the G36 motor is really big and purposeful!

What do you think?

Sorry for not speaking German! (I am in fact French, but I thought I would get more hits in English

Ragards from Burgundy,

Jacques
    Zuletzt geändert von chartz; 01.06.2014, 17:28.

AW: G36 capstan motor noise

Hello,

G36 motors are typically very quiet. But at this age, the lubricant has probably leaked out or dried up, so needs to be replenished. Don't just add more, rather disassemble te bearings entirely, clean and regrease/oil.
    The bottom bearing seal does degrade, allowing oil to leak out. A new O-ring will be required.

If the noise you speak of is an electrical vibration rather than mechanical, it may be that the phase shift capacitor is failing.

Kommentar

Zitat von steerpike Beitrag anzeigen
      Hello,

G36 motors are typically very quiet. But at this age, the lubricant has probably leaked out or dried up, so needs to be replenished. Don't just add more, rather disassemble te bearings entirely, clean and regrease/oil.
      The bottom bearing seal does degrade, allowing oil to leak out. A new O-ring will be required.

If the noise you speak of is an electrical vibration rather than mechanical, it may be that the phase shift capacitor is failing.
      Thank you!
      The motor was disassembled and lubricated with the correct Revox Mobil oil. The capstan was replaced with a new one.
      On this motor, there is no cork seal, just an adjustable thrust pad.

Kommentar

will not help you. Just to show how it looked when I opened mine the first time:
        Probably cork, from the last century :-)

Regards

Peter
        Angehängte Dateien

Kommentar

Zitat von peter_l Beitrag anzeigen
          will not help you. Just to show how it looked when I opened mine the first time:
          Probably cork, from the last century :-)

Regards

Peter
          Yes, my second, earlier G36 had that too. An O'ring was fitted after cleaning up the mess.

Kommentar

Lädt...
          X