X

• Filter
  • Zeit
  • Anzeigen
Alles löschen
neue Beiträge

Revox B795 Tweak and cartridge

Apologies for the English - I have very very weak german

My B795 has been in storage for many years and I want to use it again, my old Benz MC1 HO cartridge is not sounding so good - so I have started a project.

So 1st I am looking at a good cartridge.... I want it p-mount so it can be changed easily and I can experiment with options...

So far my list of possibly appropriate cartridges is:

Ortofon OMP (20/30/40)
    Signet Tk6 (eliptical / shibata)
    Digitrac 300SE (oem ortofon "super" eliptical with higher compliance)
    AT92/311 (LineContact / Shibata / Eliptical)
    AT102/122 series (LineContact / Shibata / Eliptical)
    Ortofon 320 (line contact / eliptical)
    Empire 1080LT (Shibata / Eliptical)
    Grado Black through Gold (Eliptical)
    Shure V15VP (Eliptical / SAS)
    Ortofon 2M Family (eliptical/fineline/shibata)

What are people's experiences with these (or closely related) cartridges, and also with different stylus profiles?

I have a lot of older vinyl and am trying to reduce noise - (before you ask, yes I have an RCM, and go through a thorough cleaning process)

I have heard that the Fritz Geiger profile styli tend to highlight surface problems/noise (hence the OM40 stylus may not be great)
    I have also heard (again on various forums) that the MicroRidge, Line Contact and Shibata styli tend to get more from the LP's while reducing Noise.... I presume this may vary based on the specific stylus profile. - Shibata seems to get the most consistent positive reports (and is the easiest to identify, given the plethora of micro-super-hyper-ridge-contact Line styli)

Price is definitely a consideration - and I am also looking at value...

My preferred situation is to pick up a great generator used, and then purchase some new needles for it....

Obviously variations in compliance are an issue as the aftermarket needles may have lower compliance than the original... but given that none of the aftermarket suppliers advertise compliance, I am dependent on the input of those with more experience...

I am also looking at what can be done to improve the table itself - in terms of feet, platforms, vibration absorbing or other modifications. (ie what people have tried which works well)

I remember being told years ago that Empire used to do modifications to the Linatrack tonearm as well - does anyone know about this?

Thank you for your time and experience - danke

AW: Revox B795 Tweak and cartridge

Dear dlaloum,

for infos to the usual MM carridges, I can't answer you.

However I have such an "Empire" modified model - the 291 not a 795 - in use since over 10 years - with excellent sound !! (a second one is being modified and repared right now)

Amoung others, the original REVOX plastic tonearm was replaced with a heavier metal one, which allows for the BENZ MC-1000 cell - or equivalent - to be installed.
    Also the "impedance control (?) board" or system was removed or bridged, so the MC-signal goes directly to the connecting cable. There were other modifications to the platter as far as I know.

PROBLEM: There are no more spare metal tonarms available.
    One user in this forum has modified the plastic arm with lead bits to make it heavier and he uses a BENZ cell search for user "jkhh" - he describes his modification, but only in German, I'm afraid.

Best regards to Melbourne

Urs Marti

Kommentar

Lädt...
    X